The conference report from the 2014 conference 'Germany as Mediator - Peace Mediation and Mediation Support in German Foreign Policy' outlines concrete steps that Germany should to contribute to international peace mediation and mediation support.
European Union (EU)
- EEAS Mediation Support Team
- EEAS Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding, and Mediation
- Concept on Strengthening EU Mediation & Dialogue Capacities (2009)
Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
- OSCE Conflict Prevention Centre
- Mediation and Dialogue Facilitation in the OSCE
- OSCE Guide on Non-Military Confidence-Building Measures
- OSCE Guide on Gender Responsive Mediation
United Nations (UN)
- The Center for International Peace Operations (ZIF) in cooperation with schnittbüro asked experienced mediators and participants in mediation processes to share their experiences. Swiss Ambassador Heidi Tagliavini, who is currently involved in the peace negotiations in Ukraine, Luxshi Vimalarajah, Programme Director for Dialogue, Mediation & Peace Support Structures at the Berghof Foundation, Dr. Christian Schwarz-Schilling, former International Mediator for Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Dalibor Jevtic, Minister for Communities and Return in Kosovo gave their insights into mediation and being a mediator. The first three clips are in German. The interview with Mr. Jevtic is in English.
- Berghof Dialogue Diary (Kaukasus)
- UN Standby Team of Mediation Experts 2013
- UN Standby Team of Mediation Experts 2012
Further Resources and Reading Suggestions
- Action Plan Civilian Crisis Prevention of the Federal Government (German only)
- Berghof Background Paper 1: Inclusivity in National Dialogues
- Berghof Glossary of Conflict Transformation
- ETH Zurich – Mapping Mediators: A comparison of Third Parties and Implications for Switzerland
- ETH Zurich Blog - What is Mediation?
- Insider Mediators | Exploring Their Key Role in Informal Peace Processes
- Conflict Parties’ Interests in Mediation
- An Empirical-Analytical Attempt to Intercultural Mediation: A Difficult Brokerage. Assess the Impact of Cultural Differences.
- Peaceful Intervention: Structures, Processes, and Strategies for the Constructive Regulation of Ethnopolitical Conflicts
- Mapping German Development Cooperation in Peace Negotiations and Mediation: Experience, Potentials, Gaps and Areas for Strategic Support
- Mediating Peace with Proscribed Armed Groups
- Mediation Process Matrix
- Natural Resources and Conflict – A Guide for Mediation Practitioners
- Peace Mediation and Listed Terrorist Organizations: Challenges for Peacebuilding
- ZIF-SWP Toolbox Civilian Crisis Management (on Conflict Resolution, p. 26)