Reports from Activities of the Federal Foreign Office & IMSD
In October 2015 the Federal Foreign Office invited mediation experts to Berlin to exchange on the topic of 'Identifying Mediation Entry Points'. The event was organized by the Federal Foreign Office and IMSD.
The conference report from the 2014 conference 'Germany as Mediator - Peace Mediation and Mediation Support in German Foreign Policy' outlines concrete steps that Germany should to contribute to international peace mediation and mediation support.
Fact Sheet on “Basics of Mediation; Concepts and Definitions” jointly developed by the Initiative Mediation Support Deutschland (IMSD) and the Federal Foreign Office.
Guiding Documents of International Organisations
European Union (EU)
- EEAS Mediation Support Team
- EEAS Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding, and Mediation
- Concept on Strengthening EU Mediation & Dialogue Capacities (2009)
Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
- OSCE Conflict Prevention Centre
- Mediation and Dialogue Facilitation in the OSCE
- OSCE Guide on Non-Military Confidence-Building Measures
- OSCE Guide on Gender Responsive Mediation
United Nations (UN)
The Center for International Peace Operations (ZIF) in cooperation with schnittbüro asked experienced mediators and participants in mediation processes to share their experiences. Swiss Ambassador Heidi Tagliavini, who is currently involved in the peace negotiations in Ukraine, Luxshi Vimalarajah, Programme Director for Dialogue, Mediation & Peace Support Structures at the Berghof Foundation, Dr. Christian Schwarz-Schilling, former International Mediator for Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Dalibor Jevtic, Minister for Communities and Return in Kosovo gave their insights into mediation and being a mediator. The first three clips are in German. The interview with Mr. Jevtic is in English.
- Berghof Dialogue Diary (Kaukasus)
Publications by IMSD Members
- Berghof Foundation: Berghof Background Paper 1: Inclusivity in National Dialogues
- Berghof Foundation: Glossary of Conflict Transformation
- Berghof Foundation: Insider Mediators | Exploring Their Key Role in Informal Peace Processes
- Berghof Foundation: Conflict Parties’ Interests in Mediation
- Berghof Foundation: An Empirical-Analytical Attempt to Intercultural Mediation: A Difficult Brokerage. Assess the Impact of Cultural Differences.
- Berghof Foundation: Peaceful Intervention: Structures, Processes, and Strategies for the Constructive Regulation of Ethnopolitical Conflicts
- Berghof Foundation: Mapping German Development Cooperation in Peace Negotiations and Mediation: Experience, Potentials, Gaps and Areas for Strategic Support
- Berghof Foundation: Mediating Peace with Proscribed Armed Groups
- Berghof Foundation: Peace Mediation and Listed Terrorist Organizations: Challenges for Peacebuilding
- Center for Peace Mediation: Kirchoff, Lars: Linking Mediation and Transitional Justice. Background paper of the conference "Peace and Justice" hosted by the German Federal Foreign Office, the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Jordanian Foreign Ministry, as well as the Center for Transitional Justice. New York 2007.
- Center for Peace Mediation: Translating Mediation Guidance into Practice: Commentary on the UN Guidance for Effective Mediation by the Mediation Support Network (2012)
- inmedio: From shared truths to joint responsibility: Combining story-telling, dialogue and mediation as a means of trust-building within or between divided societies. Splinter, Dirk und Wüstehube, Ljubjana in KOREA forum Special No. 2, Vol. 23, 2014.
- ZIF: ZIF-SWP Toolbox Civilian Crisis Management (on Conflict Resolution, p. 26)